Like my Facebook page

Friday 12 October 2012

Tigers, Teens and Karen Millen

I woke up excited about my day. I was going to fulfil a childhood dream of feeding zoo animals, plus find out how this zoo helped a cancer charity, but there was more in store for my day than I realised.

Chris, a young man who had battled cancer and who also worked at the zoo was so lovely. Later, I would interview him about his fight against cancer and how the charity called Teens Unite helped him through some really tough times. He accompanied me on my adventure around the park and after an amazing experience of feeding lemur monkeys, playing with meerkats, and even feeding a tiger, it was time to visit the charity that he so loved.

I didn't know much about it but I knew it was run by Barbara Pezzani and Karen Millen. I remember briefly wondering if it was THE Karen Millen, founder of one of the high streets best known brands, but thought it was probably just someone with the same name.

I was greeted by two lovely ladies. Barbara was bubbly and outgoing and got straight to showing me around the respite. Karen on the other hand seemed a bit shy and reserved.

I interviewed Barbara and asked if Karen could say a few words but I could see she wasn't very comfortable with it but she bravely did it all the same. Then one sentence confirmed that she was THE Karen Millen when she mentioned that her reputation helped with moving the charity forward. 

Later, we sat around a table and had a good laugh with Steve Director of Paradise Wildlife Park and flicked through a magazine that Karen featured in. 

What struck me was how this super successful millionnairess was so shy and didn't like the limelight. She said in an interview with MMM magazine, "Im a private person. I would rather be behind the scenes and get on doing what I enjoy. I dont like being in front of a camera or talking about it. Its not something I feel comfortable with."  

Its funny but you would automatically think that someone with her reputation would be outgoing, loud perhaps, even a little proud? But here was a lovely quiet lady, who just simply gets on with what she loves to do.  

So, it doesn't matter whether you are shy or outgoing, bubbly or quiet, do you have a dream? Do you love to do something? All it takes is to have passion for something and you can overcome anything, especially yourself.

Check out the video below of my interview with her and her charity partner.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment