Like my Facebook page

Thursday 5 June 2014

You've just GOT to eat some of this!


Here's a photo of something I made yesterday... Baked salmon with oyster sauce, salad aaaaaannnddd BULGAR WHEAT!

I've been eating this stuff ever since I was able to eat solid food as a baby and grew up with it, but only recently did I discover its amazing benefits.

Bulgar wheat (also called cracked wheat) is widely used in Greek and Middle Eastern cooking and is a great alternative to rice. I've cut right back on white rice as it's so bad for you.

Here are just some of the benefits of bulgar:

·         It's 100 percent whole wheat that’s specially prepared to decrease cooking time
·         It's a good source of fiber, protein, iron and vitamin B-6
·         Eating whole-grain foods, including bulgur, may lower the risk of developing cardiovascular disease 
·         It' a low-glycemic-index food, which is good for your insulin levels and blood glucose
·         It contributes to maintaining a healthy body weight
·         It's a good source of magnesium
·         It lowers the risk of developing type 2 diabetes
·         It protects against breast cancer (Pre-menopausal women who get enough fiber each day from sources like cracked wheat and other whole grains have a risk of breast cancer 52 percent lower than that of women who do not get enough fiber each day. )

Yep, definitely going to be eating more of the stuff. I've already had it 3 times this week. It's so easy to cook. Here's how I normally do mine.

Brown some chopped onions in a little olive oil
Add some vermicelli till it goes brown
Add a cup of bulgar wheat
Add enough hot veg or chicken stock to just cover the bulgar, season with salt and put the stove on very low
Check after 5 minutes as it should be done
Fluff with a fork and serve

Yes, it's THAT fast and simple. I have served it as a side dish to a few of my friends and they've really liked it. :-) I also add a little natural Greek yogurt to mine (it's a Greek thing) and eat olives too.

No comments:

Post a Comment